Saturday, March 7, 2009

Roseola

Roseola is an acute disease of infants and young children that is characterized by high fever followed by a rash that appears on trunk, limbs, neck and face. www.About.com


So on top of Reef going to the doctor yesterday and finding out he just has a cold, viral fever & all 4 top teeth coming in (which, by the way, 2 of them are poking out already!) he has Roseola now, too.

Roseola is a harmless rash that less than 1/2 of all babies get between the ages of 6 months and 2 years. It happens, usually, after their first major fever (over 103*) and will go away between 1-5 days.

At first I thought it was just a heat rash because I have usually been putting a onesie on under his pj's and he got really cranky Friday night, so I took it off. I noticed a few bumps Friday night after the onesie incident (also, it was a brand new onesie that I'm pretty sure hadn't been washed, so that was the 2nd culprit, or so I thought that the rash was from.) Saturday morning brought more bumps, just in the torso area, so the heat/sensitive rash, I thought was a pretty good guess! By Sunday, it had started spreading to his neck and face and slightly on his legs and I was getting worried. I called our "Telephone Line to Care" through our pediatrician and a nurse talked me through signs and symptoms and finally came to Roseola. After some research of my own on the internet, I am convinced that is what it is and hope that it goes away SOON because I hate seeing my baby's beautiful skin all bumpy!

Here are pictures of what the rash looks like (I got it off the internet.)

No comments: